Postdoctoral research associate in mass-spectrometry and molecular biology
Project: LC-MS identification of new 5’ RNA caps in bacterial and mammalian cells (2 years)
The young international group of Dr. Hana Cahova is looking for a talented and highly motivated postdoctoral fellow to join our team in a project financed by the ERC CZ program. The position is available immediately. In general, the goal of Dr. Cahova research is an in-depth study of the chemical structure of RNA molecules (both coding and non-coding) and the role, biogenesis, and biodegradation of these RNA structures.
Recently, we discovered an entirely new class of 5’ RNA caps in bacteria, based on the dinucleoside polyphosphate structure. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to continue on the project and to develop new LC-MS techniques for the detection of other types of caps in both bacterial and mammalian cells. The excellent knowledge of mass-spectrometry is welcomed as well as interest in molecular biology. The experiments will be mainly performed on SYNAPT G2 (8 kDA Quadrupole), SCIEX QTRAP 6500+ and tribrid Phusion LUMOS (equipped with ETD, UVPD, regular HCD, and CAD fragmentation).
The IOCB is one of the best research institutes in central Europe with an international environment and with excellent equipment and core facilities located in new or reconstructed buildings close to the city center.
Selected relevant publications:
- Hudeček, O., Benoni, R., Reyes-Gutierrez, P.E. et al. Dinucleoside polyphosphates act as 5′-RNA caps in bacteria. Nat Commun 11, 1052 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-14896-8
- Cahová, H., Winz, ML., Höfer, K. et al. NAD captureSeq indicates NAD as a bacterial cap for a subset of regulatory RNAs. Nature 519, 374–377 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature1402
- PhD degree in the field of analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or molecular biology
- Excellent theoretical knowledge and practical experience either in mass-spectrometry or at least in molecular biology
- At least one first-author publication in a relevant journal
- Self-motivated person with a strong commitment to basic research
- Working in a young, promising, and progressive scientific team
- Training, with possible opportunities in the form of specialized courses
- 5 weeks of vacation + 3 sick days
- Health insurance and full benefits package incl. contribution to supplementary pension insurance and contribution to sports/culture/leisure time
- Meals subsidy
- Financial support for mothers with young children
How to apply
All the applicants should send their CV with a list of publications, motivation letter and contact details of 2-3 referees to Dr. Hana Cahová (email@example.com) with subject POSTDOC_HC_2022.