PhD positions in Structural Parasitology group
Two positions for talented and self-motivated PhD students are open in the Structural Parasitology group at IOCB Prague led by Dr. Sebastian Zoll. The group focuses on understanding the structural basis of interactions between parasite surface proteins with human host factors to elucidate immune defence strategies of the parasite and foster the development of novel therapeutic strategies against neglected diseases.
The lab is well-funded and supported by a diverse network of international collaborators, providing excellent opportunities for the candidate to receive additional training in foreign host institutions.
The successful candidate will adopt an integrated structural biology approach, utilising single-particle cryo-electron microscopy, X-ray crystallography, and small-angle X-ray scattering, alongside various biophysical techniques to characterize protein-protein interactions (such as SPR, ITC, MALS, MST). The position will provide hands-on training in a protein biochemistry lab, as well as training in structural data processing using Linux work stations.
Sülzen, H., Began, J., Dhillon, A., Kereiche, S., Pompach, P., Votrubova, J., Zahedifard, F., Subrtova, A., Safner, M., Hubalek, M., Thompson, M., Zoltner, M., and Zoll, S. (2023) Cryo-EM structures of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense ISG65 with human complement C3 and C3b and their roles in alternative pathway restriction. Nature Communications 14, 2403. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-37988-7
What knowledge and skills you should have:
- University degree (M.Sc.) in biology, biochemistry, or a related field and possess a keen interest in structural biology
- Keen interest in structural biology and computational work
- Ideally a team player with the drive and dedication to design experiments and analyse data independently
- We value accountability and reliability, and seek a candidate who is motivated to acquire new skills
- Good English oral and written communication skills are mandatory
- Prior experience in protein expression and purification is an advantage
- Reputation of an international recognised research institute
- Links to pharmaceutical industry and translational research
- Working in a young, promising, and progressive scientific team of medicinal chemists, virologists, immunologist, computational chemists, and biochemists
- Competitive financial remuneration
- 5 weeks of paid vacation plus 3 sick days
- Health insurance and full benefits package incl. contribution to supplementary pension insurance
- Financial support for parents with children under 4 years of age returning to work after maternity/parental leave
full-time fixed-term employment contract with the possibility of extension
in the stunning city of Prague
How to apply
Please send a short motivation letter (max. 500 words), your CV and contact information for two references to Dr. Sebastian Zoll at email@example.com.
If you do not hear from us within 3 weeks, we have decided to proceed with another candidate. Thank you for your understanding.