Ilia V. Yampolsky
10 September 2019
Dr. Ilia V. Yampolsky (Department of Biomolecular Chemistry, Shemyakin and Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, RAS, Moscow, RF)
New bioluminescence systems: luciferins, luciferases and luciferin biosynthesis pathways
Date and time
10 September 2019, 3 p.m.
IOCB Prague, Lecture Hall (Building A, 2nd floor, A2.01)
Many living organisms emit light, a phenomenon known as bioluminescence. The energy required for light production is generated by the oxidation of a small organic molecule, luciferin, catalyzed by a specific enzyme, luciferase. Luminous taxa have currently been reported from about 800 genera. The chemical nature and mechanisms of action of the few known types of bioluminescence substrates (luciferins) are as diverse as their phylogenetic distribution. Despite being widely used in reporter technologies, bioluminescent systems are largely understudied. Of at least forty different bioluminescent systems thought to exist in nature, molecular components of only ten light-emitting reactions are known, and the full biochemical pathway leading to light emission is only understood for two of them. In this talk, the current status and perspectives, in the context of postgenomic era, of novel bioluminescence systems including fungi, earthworms, and marine polychaetes will be reviewed.
- Z. M. Kaskova, F. A. Dörr, V. N. Petushkov, K. V. Purtov, A. S. Tsarkova, N. S. Rodionova, K. S. Mineev, E. B. Guglya, A. Kotlobay, N. S. Baleeva, M. S. Baranov, A. S. Arseniev, J. I. Gitelson, S. Lukyanov, Y. Suzuki, S. Kanie, E. Pinto, P. Di Mascio, H. E. Waldenmaier, T. A. Pereira, R. P. Carvalho, A. G. Oliveira, Y. Oba, E. L. Bastos, C. V. Stevani, I. V. Yampolsky. Sci. Adv. 3, e1602847 (2017).
- A. S. Tsarkova, Z. M. Kaskova, I. V. Yampolsky. Acc. Chem. Res. 2016, 49 (11), 2372.
- Z. M. Kaskova, A. S. Tsarkova, I. V. Yampolsky. Chem. Soc. Rev., 2016, 45, 6048.
- Purtov KV, Petushkov VN, Baranov MS, Mineev KS, Rodionova NS, Kaskova ZM, Tsarkova AS, Petunin AI, Bondar VS, Rodicheva EK, Medvedeva SE, Oba Yuichi, Oba Yomiko, Arseniev AS, Lukyanov S, Gitelson JI, Yampolsky IV. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 2015, 54, 8124.
- MA Dubinnyi, ZM Kaskova, NS Rodionova, MS Baranov, AY Gorokhovatsky, A Kotlobay, KM Solntsev, AS Tsarkova, VN Petushkov, IV Yampolsky, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 7065.
- A.A. Kotlobay, K.S. Sarkisyan, Y.A. Mokrushina, M. Marcet-Houben, E.O. Serebrovskaya, N.M. Markina, L.G. Somermeyer, A.Y. Gorokhovatsky, A. Vvedensky, K.V. Purtov, V.N. Petushkov, N.S. Rodionova, T.V. Chepurnyh, L.I. Fakhranurova, E.B. Guglya, R. Ziganshin, A.S. Tsarkova, Z.M. Kaskova, V. Shender, M. Abakumov, T.O. Abakumova, I.S. Povolotskaya, F.M. Eroshkin, A.G. Zaraisky, A.S. Mishin, S. V. Dolgov, T.Y. Mitiouchkina, E.P. Kopantzev, H.E. Waldenmaier, A.G. Oliveira, Y. Oba, E. Barsova, E.A. Bogdanova, T. Gabaldón, C.V. Stevani, S. Lukyanov, I.V. Smirnov, J.I. Gitelson, F.A. Kondrashov, I.V. Yampolsky. PNAS 2018, 115, 12728